Sunday, April 16, 2006

A Feeling of Normalcy

The day before yesterday I decided to wear my wig out for the 1st time since losing all my hair. My sister came up to my house to help me out and spend time with the kids. Instead of tying a bandana around my head I said to myself, "Lets try this wig, I paid enough for it and I might as well use it!" So that's what I did. I followed all of Mr. Paris' instructions so that it would not fall off or move one bit. We went to McDonald's (the kids wanted it, I know, but they're kids what can I say?) and then we decided to check out the sales at Kohl's. I absolutely love that store. You can walk in there with $100 and come out with a sh*t load of awesome stuff. I also love the fact that its right down the road from me. I could walk there if I wanted to. Its just that I would have to lug all the bags BACK home! LOL.

We bought some outfits for the kids (very cute), pajamas for ourselves (Rainbow Bright for my sister and Elmo and Sesame Street for me-yeah we're just big kids at heart and my son loves to look at all the characters and name them), accent rugs for the kitchen and the great room, Blue's Clues bubble blowers for the kids, a pretty outfit for me (not sure if I will wear it today or not, depends on my mood), and some miscellaneous items I cant remember. I still only spent a little over $100, how great is that?!!! What can I say, the little things excite me. My sister forgot the gift card I gave her at home but still spent the money. There is always a sale going on at this place.

Anyway, I walked about my usual way and not one person looked at me funny or stared in a weird way like they were doing the last time I was out wearing one of my bandanas. I was being ignored and I liked it! Normalcy as I would call it. I got a feeling of being normal again. The wig looks so real that no one would be able to tell its not unless they themselves are a trained professional with wigs or are literally right on top of me inspecting my head!

Don't get me wrong when I say that it felt good to 'blend in' with the crowd. I am normally a very loud and extroverted person but there are times in our lives where we just don't want the attention and want to blend in. Right now, this is that time. I know that people say that they feel "liberated" when they go out in public with their bald head and that's wonderful. I give them all the credit in the world. Look at Melissa Etheridge a few years ago at some music award show, she performed without her hair. She had just finished chemo and was proud to show it off, like a badge of honor. I guess that's what it is really. I am not ready to do that but maybe someday I will have the courage to go out in public with my cue ball head.

I received my delivery of scarves from Israel yesterday. I tried all kinds of ways to wear them and they are just gorgeous. They are so comfortable and light on my head that I know when I am not wearing my wig, I will be wearing these scarves. I might even order more because who says you need a bald head to wear them? Right?

Today is EASTER SUNDAY and Christ is risen! God Bless you all and have a Blessed Sunday with your families. I am going to my Mom's house for the 1st time since February. I cant believe I haven't been down there in such a long time. I guess time is flying by and I don't even realize it. That's a good thing for me!

Here is a picture of me wearing my wig:
My Wigtastic Wig!!

No comments: