Thursday, January 15, 2009

The First Finished Object of 2009

This hat is Half-Pipe from Deb Stollers Stitch n Bitch book with all the men's patterns. After knitting it you insert a plastic mesh piece thats cut in the shape of a crescent and it becomes the brim of the hat. Its very easy to do and I actually stitched it in place while my husband had it on his head as to not make a mistake or have the brim fold the wrong way. He LOVES it! I used Tahki Tweedy Alpaca (1.5 skeins) and I fell in love with it. Its so soft and fluffy and feels so good to knit with it makes me want to go out and buy enough to make a sweater with. BUT it is a little pricey for me to make a sweater. There are only 81 yards in each skein so you would need a lot and at almost $9/each it would be more than $100 to make a sweater. Right now I am trying to use the yarns I have in my stash and save money for bills and our upcoming vacation next month.
IMG_2202
IMG_2199
IMG_2197
IMG_2195

I am in the process of finishing a seamless baby kimono that I was making for my friends brother's new baby girl. I realized however that its way to small to fit her since she's turning 3 months at the end of January. The pattern says its 3-6 month size but I dont think she is going to get much use out of it. I've decided to make something for a 12 month old and send it to her so she can have something to wear in the Fall when it gets cooler and she will be able to wear it and have it actually fit her.
There are also the Rockin' Sock Club Socks that I havent finished from the summer. The 2009 club starts sending out the first package the 3rd week of January so my goal is to finish them so I can start the 2009 clubs socks. I always get the first 3-4 pair knitted and then things get crazy around the holidays and I slack off. It happened last year also. It didnt help that last year I was in 3 sock clubs either. This year its just 2 clubs: The Rockin' Sock Club and Woolgirl's Sock Club. They both are awesome but I am really looking forward to Woolgirls this year. She is promising its going to be awesome!

My daughters 9th birthday is this weekend and we are going to see a movie of her choice. She wants to see HOTEL FOR DOGS. Everyone else wants to see BEDTIME STORIES. Hopefully HOTEL FOR DOGS wont be too bad.

Since its a new year I usually post goals for the year and now is as good a time as any. Here are some of my goals for 2009:

1) Reach my goal weight this year! I am slowly working my way there and have lost 27 lbs so far. I have about 20-25 lbs to go to reach where I want to be.

2) Exercise more whether I join a gym or do it on my own.

3) Become a faster knitter while still being a quality knitter. I know I knit slow and I do get distracted easily so I have to finish what I start. Either finish it or frog it. I joined a group on Ravelry dedicated to this purpose.

4) Get a part time or per diem job to bring some income into the home. Times are tough for everyone and I am trying to get a job as a RN in my town so I wouldnt have to drive far and I can work around my husband's and kid's schedules.

5) Take a romantic vacation alone with my husband after the family vacation.

6) Sell more jewelry on my Etsy shop.

7) Walk with my Mom in the 2009 Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. This will be my first year doing it and my mothers 3rd. I have been unable in the past due to my leg issues but I am getting into shape and it should be OK by October.

I am sure there are some I forgot but I'll add them later.
Hope everyone has a great long weekend and stay warm!

2 comments:

artsyclay said...

The hat is adorable!

CurlyBrunette said...

Thanks so much!