Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Most Important Thing in this World

Last night I was up most of the night with my son who was vomiting his guts up. The minute he finished vomiting he would feel a little better, fall asleep for a half hour or an hour then wake up and vomit again. This started at one in the morning and my husband and I didn't get much sleep. I felt so bad for my son because he couldn't stop even with the anti-nausea medications I was giving him.

He last vomited this morning at around 6 am and of course stayed home from school. We were giving him little sips of Coke and Gatorade to keep him hydrated and he was actually able to hold down some Tylenol to get his temp down. Then at 1pm he vomited everything up that he had taken in from this morning. He was so lethargic he couldn't even move off the couch if he wanted to and if anyone knows my son he is extremely active and NEVER sits still unless something is really wrong.

After he puked at 1pm I put a call into the doctors office which was closed for the holiday weekend. I had the Dr. paged and she called me back within a half an hour. I told her what was happening and she told me to bring him in to the office right away. My husband took him and called me just a little while ago with an update. They are going to admit him to the hospital due to extreme dehydration. They did a finger stick to see what his hemoglobin (O2 in the blood) & hematocrit (the ratio of the volume of red blood cells in the blood) was. Normal hematocit for his age is anywhere from 35% to 45% and his measured in at 65% which means he is very dehydrated and needs fluids immediately. As soon as they admit him they will start and IV to get him hydrated and will continue to monitor and hydrate him throughout the night. In the morning they will see if he is able to hold down any liquids and then go from there.

We were supposed to go to my Mom's for Thanksgiving Dinner tomorrow but it looks like thats not going to happen. I am more upset that my son is in the hospital then not being able to attend Thanksgiving dinner. I have always said that the most important thing in this world is your health. No matter how much money you have, how many cars, TV's, computers, phones, gadgets, toys, whatever, THEY DONT MATTER. I am thankful that my son is getting the medical treatment he needs right now, I am thankfull that I am alive and able to be a wife and mother to my family and I am thankful that God has shown me the things that really matter in this life and how everything else is not really as important as I thought it was.

Its a shame that there are people who don't know what these important things are and are always bitching, complaining or unhappy at something that's wrong in their life. There are always going to be others in this world that have it much worse than you, that are suffering more than you, that are in more pain that you are. We all need to remember these things and be thankful for all that we have and no matter how difficult we think it is, it could be a lot worse.

Have a Healthy and Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: