Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Stove, Groundhog & Hat

I can't believe that its almost the middle of February and we haven't had any snow since December!  Where has the winter gone?  I really do like the snow even though I hate to drive in it.  It's nice to look at while you're inside knitting away without a care in the world.  As I am typing this it is snowing outside my window.  It looks like the type of snow that might accumulate but I am not quite sure its going to do that.  I guess I should check the weather channel.
I am not sure I even mentioned the fact that I haven't had an oven for the past few months but I havent and it stinks not to be able to bake and broil things.  The range/oven was a Christmas gift from my parents and I love it.  Its my first new one ever!
My New Stove!
So far I have baked a cake and made a few dishes in it and it cooks perfectly!

My husband gave me my Valentine's present early (yesterday). He had heard that I wanted the groundhog from Build a Bear which happens to be a limited edition collect a bear. My kids have so many of these I lost count but to give you an idea we have 2 cheetahs, Rudolph and Clarice, the beagle, boxer, orange tabby cat, the limited edition breast cancer bear, several brown bears, the black lab, the black and white sheep dog, the pink poodle and a few others I cant remember at this moment. I am waiting for them to come out with a dachshund which I am sure they will eventually. By the way I was very original when I named my groundhog Shadow.
Shadow the Groundhog

I finished the hat for Robbie a couple of days ago. I am not sure if we will be hand delivering it to him or mailing it to him. I am going to e-mail him to see if he is well enough to have visitors in the hospital. The last I heard he was going through intense chemotherapy and they didn't want him to be exposed to any germs for fear of him getting a cold or something he couldn't fight off.
IMG_2817

I am in the process of finishing my WIPs off one at a time and then I will begin a few things I have been meaning to make for a while. I have several baby items I need to make for babies who have been born and one that will be born in March. Last night we went to a dinner where I sat with 2 of my doctors and their wives. They thanked me for the gifts I gave them when their babies were born and I was very happy they liked them. I also told my internists wife that I will make her youngest (6 months now) something soon. I am not sure what but I have a feeling its going to be a pair of little socks made with some wonderful sock yarn I have left over from one of my sock clubs.

My Aunts birthday is at the end of the month and her scarf is almost done. Its long but I want it to be really long so I started the second ball of yarn. Its a drop stitch scarf that knits up quick but boring as hell to knit. My Dad's birthday is next month and I haven't started his gift yet. I made him socks last year and I wanted to make him another pair since he liked the first pair so much. He wears the socks around the house and to bed since he said he cant get his shoes on with them due to their thickness. I used Artyarns Supermerino which suggests a needle size of 7 and its considered a worsted weight yarn. Maybe he's right about them being a "thick" sock. I'm so used to wearing my clogs which enable me to wear thicker socks. My Dad is not a clog or sandal type of guy and he also says his feet get to hot with them if he did wear them in a shoe. The idea of making him felted slipper socks came to mind but I have never felted anything (on purpose) yet so I dont want to run out of time with his gift by experimenting. My Mom suggested the Alligator scarf that I am making for my husband but I got a little bored with it and put it down and I cant imagine starting another one at the moment. So its either going to be handmade socks OR I will go out and buy his something.

I have been itching to make my Mom a lace scarf or light wrap for Mother's Day. I bought 2 hanks of Artyarns Royal Silk last year with the intention of making her something for her birthday or Christmas. Every time I think of starting something for her I get sidetracked with something else. Those 2 hanks of beautiful puple-pink silk will eventually be hers, unless some other beautiful yarn screams her name out to me. There is a big possibility that can happen because it happens a lot to me. Yes, I am admitting that yarn speaks to me as it does to many knitters. I believe thats why there are projects that we start that end up being frogged over and over again. The yarn then gets put back in the closet/drawer to wait for the project that it wants to become. I cant tell you how many times I have done this as I am sure many, many other knitters have done so I am reassured that I am not crazy, LOL.

Band of Brothers is on the History Channel right now! Time to go.

No comments: