Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Knit is Actually Happening!

Lots of stuff going on at Chez CurlyBrunette or I should say Chez Knit Happens. Knit is actually happening! Just after a few words from our birthday girl sponsor...

My daughter turned 8 years old on the 17th and I cant believe how big she is getting!
Photobucket
She wants an American Girl doll for her birthday so I promised her we would go to the American Girl doll store in NYC next month. I am actually looking forward to going there and seeing what I have heard so much about.

The new year has begun for the Rockin' Sock's Club and the 1st kit arrived this weekend!
IMG_2780

I immediately started it last night. This picture doesnt do the color justice. Its so bright and vivid sometimes I wonder how Tina at Blue Moon gets such amazing colors. She is truly an artist. I LOVE the colorway (Dragon Dance) and I LOVE the pattern (Serendipity). Its surprising because I am not a fan of the lacey sock pattern but I think I am beginning to change my opinion about them. I know, I know, you are saying to yourself, why on earth is she starting this sock when she hasnt even finished other socks from her other sock clubs and even socks from last years Rockin' Sock Club. Well, I am a firm believer that you have to be in the mood to knit something otherwise I am just not into it and I dont put my all into it. Right now I am really excited about this pattern and I really want to knit it. I also have a feeling that knitting them 2 at a time (which is my new way of doing socks) is going to make me finish things up faster. I am looking forward to getting more things done in the coming year.
IMG_2793

My Aunts birthday is coming up in 3 weeks and I am making her a drop stitch scarf out of some Angel Boucle from JoAnn's.
IMG_2791
Last year I made her an outdoor scarf so this year its more of an accessory scarf to brighten up her outfits.

I have been working a little at a time on this Alligator Scarf for my husband. He saw it when we were at Rhinebeck and thought it was cute. When I asked him if he would wear it he said he would so I bought the kit to make for him. Now he wants me to make one for my Oncologist! Good idea for when I have to give him a gift.
IMG_2786

My daughter is receiving 2 sacraments this year and next weekend she is receiving 1st Penance or Reconciliation. When my husband took her to religious ed the other day he found out that her teacher was just diagnosed as having AML Leukemia and in the hospitals ICU. He's only a 19-20 year old kid in college! I was shocked and very upset over the whole situation and at first I didnt know what to say to my daughter. She was told by the other substitute teacher that he was sick and in the hospital but not that he has cancer and what that means. I decided to tell her the truth about him that night. I told her that he has cancer and has to go through the treatment where he is going to lose his hair and get sick in order to get well. I didnt want to tell her the statistics and other details of the disease to frighten her. I dont think it hit her because she hasnt seen him sick yet. I told her that I am making him a hat to keep his head warm when he loses his hair and that seemed to make her happy for the moment.

I am a very positive person and I definitely believe in miracles so I hate to mention the stats here on AML Leukemia. Its a HORRIBLE Leukemia and I have seen it kill my Aunt (who was in her 60's) in 3 months. I also met a wonderful woman in the ACS Look Good Feel Better Program when I was going through chemo that just lost her battle with it. When my husband told me she died I couldnt believe it because she looked fabulous but as we all know that doesnt reflect whats going on on the inside. AML Leukemia is a constant battle that has to be fought off even when in remission. Thats what makes it the most horrible leukemia with the worst survival rates even with all the right treatment. Here's the hat I am making with Wool Ease Chunky Yarn by Lion Brand.
IMG_2784

No comments: